My talented best friend

I am very proud of my bestest mate from school (Durham Sixth Form Centre), Helen Austin. Helen spent 20 years performing as a successful musical stand-up comedian, regularly headlining the Comedy Store in London.

Though it was disconcerting when the start of her comedy set began with "my best friend..." Also something naughty I told her ended up in her book "Women Behaving Badly".

She and her lovely family selfishly moved to Canada in 2002, where she has established herself as a successful singer/ song writer.I genuinely love listening to her music and religiously listen to her song of the week.

She is pretty, successful, funny, lives in a beautiful home with a fantastic family. Why don't I hate her? Firstly because she has consciously made good decisions and works very hard for everything. She puts serious thought and effort into improving herself personally and professionally. Most of all because she is grateful for all the blessings that come her way and never complains about insignificant things. I admire and respect those qualities and it's a privilege to share her joys and lows.

Finally, I love her because she is an amazingly kind, wise and emotionally generous friend. We have an understanding when we just want to hear “the best friend lie” (what you want to hear to feel better) and when we need to hear the truth. That’s what you need in life – people who will tell you when you do and say things that won’t help you in the end.

The only downside to Helen? Well, I tell her everything and she tells her husband everything. There should be a law against husband and wives having open and honest discussions. I shudder at the things that man knows about me and thank God he lives in Canada. Actually, he is pretty useful to get the male view on things, usually a COMPLETE shock to how black/ white things are for men. I remember asking them to analyse a text from a date. Helen and I discussed at length all permeations of its true meaning. Then we involved her husband, who said…
“Read the text out loud again…”. So, I did and waited anxiously for his pearls of wisdom about the inner workings of the complex male brain…“That’s what he means, exactly what the text says”. How easy it must be being a bloke.

Anyway, here is the wonderful song she wrote about our friendship:
Somehow
In times of joy and happiness
From break-ups to what should I wear
Even when it was hard for you
Somehow you're always there
In times of doubt and confusion
From double dates to double dares
If I have hurt or challlenged you
Somehow you're always there

You'll never see all I see and
How much your kindness has meant to me

One day you'll find what you're searching for
One day we'll meet up again
Even when tiredness takes over you
Somehow you're always there
Through all these years and all the many tears
I know that I can always count on you

In times of joy and happiness
In times of doubt and depair
If I have hurt or challenged you
Somehow you're always there.

© Helen Austin 2006

No comments: