Family nicknames

It amuses me how families can develop nicknames or phrases that become ingrained into the language of the family and seem strange to anyone outside.

My sister’s nickname is Bood. There are several explanations of how it came about, but Bood has been called “Bood” since any of us can remember. Not only is it a sign of deep affection for the youngest and sweetest member of the family – but it clearly defines our inner circle. I remember a new-ish boyfriend of mine calling her “Bood” and it was about as welcome as Brian Sewell reciting Latin psalms in a Moss-side pub during an FA Cup Final. However, her husband called her Bood almost from the day he met her, and it seemed like the most natural thing in the world.

Over more recent years a phrase has started to emerge in our family. My sister-in-law, Paula, is an arbiter of impeccable taste. She surrounds herself in beautiful, elegant and understated things. (Okay, not the best description of my brother.) Over the years, rather than describing something as sophisticated, classy and tasteful – it is now just referred to as “very P ”. My Dad knew that his Christmas present of a floor lamp was perfect when I enthused “oh, it’s VERP P ”. We all understand exactly what great praise this is.

No comments: