Poem about having the courage to love


Touched by an Angel
Maya Angelou

We, unaccustomed to courage
exiles from delight
live coiled in shells of loneliness
until love leaves its high holy temple
and comes into our sight
to liberate us into life.

Love arrives
and in its train come ecstasies
old memories of pleasure
ancient histories of pain.
Yet if we are bold,
love strikes away the chains of fear
from our souls.


We are weaned from our timidity
In the flush of love's light
we dare be brave
And suddenly we see
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.


Yet it is only love
which sets us free.



This poem says so much to me: love is the ultimate antidote or therapy. When love enters our lives, painful memories may re-emerge, but if we dare to "be brave" enough to shake away the fear then love is worth the risk. We must allow love to “liberate us into life” and not let “chains of fear” only hold us back.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely poem - more please.

JTG said...

A poem about a man hiding how he feels for a woman:

My Love is Hiding

My words are not enough
they always run away with me

My eyes betray me
waiting for you to see me the way I see you

My hands are clasped
trying not to touch you

My heart is hurting me
beating so fast it might just stop

My breath is fast
needing to know your smell

My legs are shaking
as I walk to close to you

My cheeks are on fire
your smile might just might destroy me

My mouth is closed shut
not wanting to lose you with my words

My soul is soaring
I can't keep my feet on the ground

My mind is racing
as I hope for so much

My world is falling into yours
can you hear it crash?

My confidence is shattered
so be gentle with me

My trust is not won easy
wait for me, I think you are worth it

My secrets are stolen
can you promise to keep them safe

My love is hiding
I want you to find it