Celebrating our friends from Mars..

That best portion of a good man's life,
His little, nameless, unremembered acts
Of kindness and of love
William Wordsworth
 
Like most single women, I have make generic and “eye rolling” statements about men, usually said with tongue in cheek. But actually, I am a big fan. All my life I have been surrounded by quality men: my father, my brother, my brother-in-law, my uncles, my cousins, my godfather, my friends, husbands of friends/ family, most exes and the majority of colleagues and dates. As a teacher I came across so many talented and intelligent young men that I knew would also become men of worth one day. As an “aunty” I can name six little boys that just make me glad to be alive when I think of how funny and special they are (Z & S, Ch, C & N, J). I am so lucky I have had in my life, endless examples of men who are decent, caring, honest, wise, strong, intelligent and great company.

None of them are perfect, and all very different, but I admire and respect something in all of them.  Name any man in my life and I can give you a “Top Three Best Things About Him ” list without catching breath. What I appreciate most about these men, is on the one hand, they can be thoughtful, gentle and insightful about how to approach something but then can be full of practical sense, control and determination when solving a problem. When it comes to the grit of life such as illness or a crisis, they take charge and give their all.

Yes, boys never grow up, just grow bigger and so do their toys, but that's their charm isn't it? The best bit about men is they are naughty boys at heart and have kept that sense of fun and joy of discovery.

Every single one of them has had a positive impact on my life to varying degrees. It might have been something small like a great conversation, making me laugh, good advice, needed support, encouragement, making me accept a compliment or the greatest skill…managing to make me laugh through tears. Or it might be on a huge scale like I am the woman I am today, hugely because of my Father. Many have said and done some incredibly kind and special things for me, which if listed, would go on for pages.

Just in the last month, not only have I had some fantastic laughs, incredibly interesting conversations, wonderful compliments, encouragement and honest advice; but on a practical level I have experienced such kindness. No prizes for spotting a theme here … but in this time different men have: offered to come over and fix/tow my car (G), dug my car out of snow (S), pushed my car (J), drove my car 300 miles back to me (R), offered to help pay for fixing the car (D), calmed me down and made me laugh when I broke down (Sh), advised me on the problem and how to deal (Ja), lent me a car (C &B) and told me it was time to get a new car (R, D, C, J, G, S, A, Ja, Sh)!

Having said that, I wouldn't want to be male. Mars is a fascinating place and I am pleased it exists, but Venus is the best place to come from! Thank heavens I am not expected to drink beer, watch football and chase the opposite sex. Thank heavens I am expected to gossip, buy lots of shoes, love pink and be emotional at times.Today, I celebrate the males in my life from the toddlers to the pensioners. My conclusion: the best thing about men: their sense of childish fun, their logical approach to problems and their protective support. God bless Mars and all who swill beer on him.

3 comments:

Ems said...

That's so sweet and you are lucky. Perhaps we moan too much about them and should enjoy what makes them different. True about them never growing up and their toys just getting bigger. Bless.

Jon P said...

Thanks C. You can actually be very sweet beneath the sarcasm and banter.

Anonymous said...

A single woman who doesn't rant on about men being complete ******. You are a breath of fresh air girl.